'We investigate the patterns and mechanisms of genomic variation in disease'

The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds has awarded our PhD student Alicia L. Bruzos a Travel Grant to visit the laboratory of Professor Young Seok Ju at the KAIST - Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (Daejeon, South Korea).

From January to April of 2021, during our collaboration with KAIST, an optimized bioinformatics pipeline for the appropriate interpretation of transcriptome sequences of cockle tumour cells will be established while we keep working hard in meeting all the goals of Scuba Cancers project.

Continue Reading...

Picture: Presentation of the 20'20 "carrera Vigo Contra el Cancer" with Abel Caballero, Mónica Martínez (OCTOPUS proyect), Guada Guerra

It will be next Sunday, December 20th, complying with all security measures, and no registration as such will be necessary. However, those who wish can donate any amount at www.vigocontraelcancer.com.

The research project to which we will devote 90% of the proceeds will be once again be the OCTOPUS Project, led by Monica Martinez from Vigo. The remaining 10% will be reserved for activities with the children of Oncology at the Álvaro Cunqueiro Hospital.

Today, STEM class from IES San Paio in Tui (NW Spain) jumped into the world of transmissible cancers thanks to Ana Copena, a BSc. student that is developping her degree thesis in the framework of Scuba Cancers project.

Picture: Meeting in Xunta de Galicia with the president of the regional government. (Left to right: Jorge Rodríguez, Javier Temes, Eva G. Álvarez, Alicia L. Bruzos, Alberto Núñez Feijóo, José M. C. Tubío, Martín Santamarina and Francisco Conde)

The president of the regional government Xunta de Galicia, Alberto Núñez Feijóo, along with the counselor of Economy, Employment and Industry, Francisco Conde, expressed today their support for the research leaded by Dr. José M. C. Tubío in a meeting that took place in San Caetano.

This 11F, Genomes & Disease wants to encourage women to continue fighting for their scientific careers and to make the youngest girls feel able to become whatever they like, TOGETHER WE CAN! #WomenInScience

Álex Viña has just joined the Scuba Cancers team to develop his PhD thesis. He will be focused on the transmission of cancer cells among cockles and for that we have collected cockles in Praia Testal. Welcome to the team!

Jenifer Brea wins an accésit as a finalist of the Arquimedes contest from the Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities; which awards the 25 best Master's thesis of Spain.

Picture: Students from Genomes & Disease lab after a long and happy journey at Ciencia Singular of CiMUS. (Left to right: Nuria Espasadín, Martín Santamarina, Bernardo Rodríguez-Martín, Jennifer Brea, Alicia L. Bruzos)

Genomes and Disease lab actively participates in the Ciencia Singular of CIMUS, an open doors day at CIMUS celebrated in November with many researchers from other laboratories involved.

Ciencia Singular of CiMUS is the most relevant initiatives for the citizens to meet the scientists working in this institution and know what they are doing, that is the latest advances in science and the main research lines. Ciencia Singular of CiMUS is intended for granting access to the public in general to spaces where scientific knowledge is developed, getting in direct contact with us through workshops, conferences and debates.

The PhD student Paula Otero has received the extraordinary award of the Biomedical Sciences degree from the University of Lleida in a ceremony chaired by the dean.

The Association Vigo contra el Cancer of Vigo organizes the VII Race Vigo Against Cancer this Sunday on Vigo. This year 90% of the earnings will support the project OCTOPUS, in which our Translational Molecular Oncology group participates (http://genomesdisease.tech/translational-molecular-oncology), and the other 10% for activities with the children hospitalized in Oncology at the Hospital Álvaro Cunqueiro of Vigo. OCTOPUS is a translational and multidisciplinary project focused on advances Lung Cancer using NGS and liquid biopsy (more info at https://proxectooctopus.org/). If you would like to participate, donations are welcome at http://vigocontraelcancer.es/.

Our PhD student Alicia L. Bruzos got the second prize for the best poster presentation by the Sociedad Española de Acuicultura (SEA) at the XXII Marine Resources Forum for her poster about whole-genome sequencing and chromosomes of cockles.

Our MSc. student Sara Lafuente, that is working in the framework of Scuba Cancers, got the first prize for the best poster presentation by the Sociedad Española de Acuicultura (SEA) at the XXII Marine Resources Forum for her poster about crabs living inside cockles.

Today, Sara Lafuente has presented a poster about the crabs that we find inside the cockles while Alicia L. Bruzos presented the effects that colchicine has on the integrity of DNA.

Eva G. Álvarez (left), Alicia L. Bruzos (center), Paula Otero (right)

Today, three PhD students from Genomes & Diseases lab have presented their preliminary results at VI Edición Investigación Biomédica del Cáncer en Galicia (IBCG)

Dra. Martínez-Fernández, Head of Translational Molecular Oncology, has been awarded with a project “Ideas Semillas” of the Spanish Society of Against Cancer (AECC). These projects are aimed to support new innovative opportunities for cancer research. Our project is focused on deciphering new molecular mechanisms in immunotherapy response in lung cancer. The awards ceremony took place the past 24 th September at Museo Reina Sofia in Madrid on the occasion of the World Cancer Research Day (WCRD 2019) with the presence of the Queen Letizia of Spain.

Seila Díaz Costas was awarded an Assemble Plus project to asses the disseminated neoplasia of Irish cockles at the National University of Ireland Galway. After spending one month in the lab of Prof. Mark Johnson, Seila and Alicia come back to G&D with plenty of new samples to analyse.

Andrea Varela y Miriam Álvarez, estudantes de Comunicación Audiovisual da UVigo, presentan su video sobre Scuba Cancers al concurso de GCiencia y quedan finalistas.


Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=247&v=lM9RAQ-3Kmg


Today at the International Society for Evolution, Ecology and Cancer Conference Martín and Alicia have talked about their preliminary results on their PhD projects. Alex Cagan has sketched them during the talk, take a look at the draw

Today, Adrián Báez from the University of Cambridge is visiting Genomes & Disease lab to consolidate our collaborations and talk about an age-old cancer genome

Picture: Genomes & Disease lab preparing a day full of DNA for Compañía de María - Primary School in Santiago de Compostela. (Left to right: Paula Otero, Jorge Rodríguez, Seila Díaz, Bernardo Rodríguez-Martín, Alicia L. Bruzos, Martín Santamarina, Mónica Martínez)

The Interational DNA Day is celebrated annually on April 25th to commemorate two major discoveries in genetics: the discovery of the double helix and the completion of the Human Genome Project. Genomes & Disease lab thinks that it is the perfect time to share with the youngest our work material: DNA while they learn the principles of DNA and genetics. Several activities twere organized for 9 classes of Compañía de María - Primary School in Santiago de Compostela.

Using #DNAday to bring genomics to students so they could understand how important science is.